Some quick notes, then a playlist link followed by my list that you have no reason to read because you’ll already have the playlist at that point and can just decide your own order because, presumably, you’re an adult and can form your own opinions about things.
- These are my 50 favorite songs of 2011. Not yours (well, maybe yours). Not Pitchfork’s. Not NPR’s. Not Rolling Stone’s. It’s not supposed to make sense. It doesn’t make sense. Just enjoy it.
- I only let myself pick one song from each artist to avoid a list made up almost entirely of Ha Ha Tonka, M83, and The Weeknd. Because honestly, that’s pretty much what you’d get right now. So really, it’s not at all my actual top 50 songs. Sorry for the confusion (not sorry at all).
- Speaking of The Weeknd, he’s not on Spotify, so the link to his song opens up in YouTube. Deal with it.
- If you think for a second that Beyonce song is a joke, you need to reevaluate your life. I’m surprised it didn’t make the top 10, honestly.
- “Rolling in the Deep” was awesome the first few times around, and I can’t deny that. It’s not awesome any more, but I can comfortably blame society for that.
You can listen to the full list in no particular order on Spotify here: Top 50 Songs of 2011 or listen to tracks individually as you go through the list. They all got links, don’t you worry.
Anyway, here’s that list I was talking about: